Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Honest Scrap



I'm flattered that Wordgirl over at Blood Signs thought of me for this award. This forces me to post something, so that's good, and I'm happy to share a little bit of trivia about myself. I'll be borrowing some of the items I listed in that ubiquitous Facebook tag. So, without further ado:


1. I watch the Oscars every year, and get so excited by the show that you'd think I was nominated for an award! I have been collecting special Oscar editions of Entertainment Weekly for more than a decade. My magazine sits next to me on my couch (as does my husband--he's such a good guy!) on the night of the show, and, as the winners are announced, I put a little check in the appropriate box of my magazine's ballot. Why I do this, I'm not sure, but I'm fairly sure that I'm a nerd. I try to see as many Oscar nominated movies as I can before the show every year. (I used to manage to see a lot more of them than I do now that I'm a mom.) Given the aforementioned information, it probably won't come as a surprise that, when I was younger, I thought I wanted to be an actress. But, alas, I was too much of an introvert to go through with an audition that I was supposed to do for a school in Toronto, Ontario, which had a good theatre program. I did, however, perform in two musicals in high school -- Little Shop of Horrors and Grease.


2. I love the scent of lilacs. I get so excited every spring when they finally bloom and I can put my nose into them and breathe in deeply. I had a spring wedding, so I requested that lilacs be put into my wedding bouquet. (As an aside, I loved my wedding day. Not because I was really into all of the hoopla that sometimes goes along with weddings--more like in spite of that, actually--but because I remember feeling very loved and supported.)

3. I love to read, but I have a stack of recently purchased, unread books on my nightstand (and desk and bookshelf) that I can't seem to find time for (too much reality TV, I think). :(


4. Going on canoe trips in gorgeous Canadian parks used to be a big part of my life. I had some great times with Sean and our friends on those trips. I hope to take Kate on a canoe trip one day (hopefully in Algonquin Provincial Park). (I think I may be sneaking an extra item in here, but I thought I should let you know that I was born and raised in Canada, but have been living in the Twin Cities for about two and a half years now.)


5. I have loved the French language since I first started learning it in the fourth grade. I took ninth-grade French when I was in eighth grade, and took French throughout high school. When I got to university, I temporarily abandoned French, but then after two changes in my major and a two-year-long hiatus from school, I decided on French as my course of study and I eventually earned a French degree. I don't use my degree now, but I'm glad I persevered and got it done--it wasn't easy for me due to lack of self discipline and little self confidence.


6. I adore travelling--I love to see new sights, eat new food, and hear different languages. I've travelled to 15 countries outside of Canada, and I hope to travel to many more in my lifetime. My first backpacking trip to Europe happened during the hiatus from school that I mentioned in item #5. In fact, it was during that trip that my love for French was rekindled and that is what led me to studying it at university.


7. I met my husband a little over sixteen years ago while we were at university. (We've only been married for six years this May, though.) We played hooky from school together for those two years I mentioned earlier. I'm sure our parents were thrilled that we had met one another! We worked at miserable jobs for a year in order to make money for our trip to Europe, and then we took off together. We have no regrets about that.


8. I lived and worked (as an au pair) in a suburb of Paris, France in the summer of 1997. I fell in love with Paris and I hope to go back one day.


9. I have met David Letterman. I stalked him outside of the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York, after the taping of a show. He was very gracious--he talked to me for a minute and shook my hand before driving off in his Porsche. I felt like I was walking on air afterwards! Yes, I can be a little star-struck.


10. I have gone spelunking in two different countries--Hungary and New Zealand. (To be honest, I have done this, but I think I'm including it in this list, at least partly, because I like the word spelunking.) Speaking of New Zealand, travelling there was my last great travel adventure with Sean before we became parents. That trip will be hard to beat as far as travel experiences go--New Zealand was breathtakingly beautiful and full of exciting things to do.


Now for the hard part (for me, at least). I'm supposed to bestow this award upon seven other bloggers, which is a little tricky for me because I don't really know seven other bloggers. Had I not been tagged by Wordgirl, I would have awarded her, as she is an amazing writer who writes prolifically about her struggle with infertility, as well as her childhood and daily life. I also would have awarded Tobacco Brunette who is honest and very funny, but I know she has already done this. She struggled with infertility and now has a baby boy. There are a few other blogs that I read regularly--a couple of them I've only just started reading, and one I've been reading for a while now--so I think I'll pass this award onto them. They are:


Kate at Mother Words: Mothers Who Write. Kate is a mother, writer and teacher who writes honestly and beautifully about motherhood, books she has read, and about being a writer.


Jennifer at Thursday Drive is also a writer who writes about anything and everything on her blog, and does so intelligently and elegantly. I have been moved by her honesty, insight, and courage.


Krista at my life as i see it. This is one of the blogs I've just started reading, and its writer doesn't know me--I guess I'll have to introduce myself now. I was drawn to her blog for a couple of reasons. Like me, she is a mother of a daughter. Also, she seems to have been through some tough stuff in her life which she writes about in a really raw and powerful way. I've recently read some powerful poetry on her blog. I'm impressed by her resilience.


Well, I'm afraid that will have to do. I suppose this means that I should start adding more blogs to my blog list!

5 comments:

Wordgirl said...

I loved reading these!

I was just thinking about you and thinking we should get together for coffee -- unfortunately I'm right in the middle of the stim drugs and fear I'm out of commission for a few weeks -- but maybe towards the end of March?

I love lilacs too! My favorite...I speak a tiny bit of French, love canoeing and SO want to go to New Zealand!


XO

Pam

Shannon said...

Thanks, Pam!

I'd like to meet for coffee sometime, so just let me know when you are feeling up to it!

Shannon

Jennifer H said...

I just found this link! Thank you so much for this, and for your lovely and kind words.

I loved your list - lilies and canoeing and travel are some of my favorite things, too. Congrats on your award, and thank you so much for sharing with me.

P.S. I love the George Eliot quote. I hope so much (and believe) it's true.

Shannon said...

You're welcome, Jennifer! I didn't exactly do a good job of letting people know that I had passed this award along to them (i.e., I didn't let any of you know). Sorry about that!

Thanks very much for commenting. I've been quietly enjoying your blog and will make an effort to comment soon!

Shannon

kate hopper said...

Shannon, I thought I thanked you for this here, but now I see my comment never appeared. I must have done something wrong. I'm finally getting to it!!! Thank you!