Tuesday, February 10, 2009

And now for something a little lighter...

Okay, so I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I am addicted to The Bachelor. There, I said it. I know it's just mindless reality (highly debatable) TV, but I seriously can't get enough of it. It offers me some light, escapist entertainment, and sometimes a person really needs that kind of junk. I guess I'm a bit of a romantic, too, so every time a new season starts I have hope that this time the "process" is going to work, and the bachelor will actually find a life partner amidst the gaggle of suspiciously attractive and often too-young women. So, last night it was time for the bachelor Jason to visit the hometowns of the final four women. Holy **** that was good TV!

It is always fun to get a glimpse into the lives of the contestants' families; you get to see everything from the absurd (like last night's scene where a contestant's mother revealed a dead dove that she had been keeping in her freezer until the right time for burial presented itself; apparently, in her wisdom, she decided that the right occasion for a dove's funeral was on the day she was to meet her daughter's boyfriend for the first time) to the truly touching--a dad choking up because he was talking about his daughter and what she means to him. My pick ('cause it matters, you know) for Jason is Jillian--a funny, smart, genuine, real, and, yes, attractive woman from British Columbia, Canada (okay, so I'm a little biased, but I swear I'm not choosing her because we were born in the same country.)

2 comments:

Jennifer H said...

Every season, I swear I'm not going to watch. And then I do.

I like Jillian, too. Not a big fan of Molly, and I'm not won over that much by Melissa.

The dove funeral, the hula hoops - that girl must have been so annoyed with her mother, especially after getting booted!

Wordgirl said...

You're from Canada? I KNEW there was another reason I liked you!

OMG. I can't watch the Bachelor -- I'm not sure why -- I have a weakness in my darkest hours for t.v. that sucks me into another dimension -- and once watched, open-mouthed with horror at "The Real Housewives of Orange County" -- but for some reason the heartbreak of the Bachelor, the hopes invested there -- I would have to turn the channel to avoid the parts that made me uncomfortable (I do that all the time -- it drives G batty).

I will watch the Biggest Loser though...and sometimes a few minutes of the Supernanny :)

XO

Pam