Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hello

Hello to those who know me and may be visiting for the first time. Yes, I have a blog (though I'm not exactly a prolific writer -- 13 posts in 11 months). I have been in the blogging closet, and I'm feeling panicked about being out, but I wanted to leave a comment on Emilie's blog today and she has changed her settings for comment posting, so I couldn't do it anonymously. At first, I thought I wouldn't leave a comment, and then I thought that perhaps there was another way around it, but after a while I realized that maybe Emilie had done me a favour. I mean, what is the point of having a blog if no one (well, almost no one) reads it, or knows it exists? I am a very private person, so having a blog, and now making it known that I have a blog, is a scary thing for me, but I figure it's about time that I take a step in the direction of letting people in. This is a small step in that direction.

If you know me and would like to tell me that you've found my blog, please do. On the other hand, if you would prefer to keep it to yourself for any reason, that's fine, too. I'm really not sure that revealing some of these personal things about myself is a positive thing; maybe some things should remain private. That's a reasonable opinion. I guess, for me, it's just about trying to be more authentic than I've been in the past. It's about being tired of keeping quiet and keeping secrets. I truly hope no one is offended by anything I've written thus far, and I hope that what I've written doesn't cost me any friends. I don't really know where I'm going with this blog, or what its real purpose is, but I can tell you what I'm thinking about it at this moment: I'm viewing it as a place where I can practice writing, and practice being honest about who I am. Hopefully, over time, I'll get better at both.

3 comments:

Emilie said...

Hi Shannon! Sorry I changed my settings on you ... I decided I wanted to block anonymous commenters after some issues in one of my posts. I'll probably change it back eventually. :)

I'm glad you're blogging. It does take courage to go public with it, so I commend you - and I look forward to reading more. You're a great writer!

Wordgirl said...

Hi Shannon,

I'm thrilled to read a post here -- I've found the entire process of blogging very cathartic -- and its been an evolving process of how and what I felt I could write about.

I am a huge believer in the power of the written word -- and in the knowledge that by reaching out we know we are not alone, and you aren't.


I've been touched by your words of encouragement on my blog, and if it's okay I'd like to keep up with yours,

Best,

Pam

Shannon said...

Hi Emilie & Pam,

Emilie, I know which anonymous commenters you're referring to, and I had guessed that that was why you changed your settings. I would have done the same thing!

Pam, thank YOU for your words of encouragement, and of course it's okay if you keep up with my blog! (I'm just still not sure how much I'll be posting, or how much I'll be saying when I do post, but I'm flattered that you would take the time to read what I write.)

Thank you both for your supportive comments -- they are much appreciated. :)


Shannon