Friday, June 27, 2008

Hope

I haven't written about my friend Emilie yet. She's the reason I started this blog; I didn't know anything about the blogging world until I started reading her blog. Emilie has been on my mind a lot lately as she is sick. She was first diagnosed with cancer last August, at which time she underwent a lengthy surgery to remove a large tumor from her abdomen. She was pregnant at the time, so nothing further was done. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy in March, and then she had a CT scan in April to find out if she still had cancer. She found out that she does, in fact, have cancer, and her prognosis is not good. That's what the doctors say, anyway. We have only known each other for a little more than a year, but the news is heartbreaking and difficult to accept, nonetheless. Emilie is someone I admire and like very much, and I feel I know her quite well, in part because of her blog and the fact that she is a wonderful writer. If you aren't familiar with her blog, or her battle against a rare cancer, please visit her at lemmondrops.

It's an unbelievably difficult and sad situation for Emilie and her family, but they are dealing with it heroically. I feel like I would fall apart if I were in her shoes. I know you can't ever know for sure how you would deal with something like that until you're in the situation yourself, but still, I can't imagine handling it as well as Emilie seems to be. I know that it's not easy for her, and that she has weak moments sometimes, but you should see her. She's an amazing woman. I can't do her justice with my words, so I'm not going to try.

I don't often meet women with whom I feel a connection, and whom I want to make an effort to get to know. I don't make friends easily as it's difficult for me to let my guard down and trust people. Emilie is one of the first women I've met in a long time for whom I wanted to put myself out there. I feel like knowing her is making me a better person, and I felt that way before she was diagnosed with cancer.

I am going to remain hopeful that we'll have the opportunity to get to know each other better over many years. More important, I'm going to remain hopeful that she'll be able to see her two young boys grow up, and spend many more years with her much-loved husband. I have hope.

No comments: